This page has Confreres ONLY access.
A brief report on the APVC ( Asia Pacific Visitors Conference) meeting in Gopalpur, North East India
The Superior General opened the meeting & made the following points :
- The International Mission in Papua New Guinea is having problems. There was no representative from the Mission at the APVC meeting, as requested.
- “The Curia has decided” that the Oceania Province should take over responsibility for the Solomon Island Mission
- “The Curia has decided” that, as the Oceania Province is reluctant to become involved in Papua New Guinea, the Indonesian Province should take over the formation of any Vincentian students from Papua New Guinea. Robertus, the Visitor from Indonesia was in shock. He knew nothing of this plan.
- A new formation programme is being planned for all Mission Superiors.
Gregory then proceeded to speak on his two favourite themes concerning the future of the Congregation:-
- We are the Congregation of the Mission. Thus we are a missionary order. Our primary, and hopefully exclusive role for the future, is to send missionaries to the poorest places of the world.
- Provinces are an obstacle in our path. He dreams of the day, hopefully within 20 years, when Provinces will be totally abolished.
CONFRERES PLEASE USE THE COMMENTS BOX BELOW TO EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS.