Province of Oceania
Congregation of the Mission
All paid and unpaid staff, including volunteers, members or trainees of The Congregation of the Mission (The Vincentians, Province of Oceania) are responsible for the safety and wellbeing of children and young people who engage with the Vincentians. All members and trainees, paid and unpaid staff are expected to act in accordance with this Code of Conduct in their physical and online interactions with children and young people under the age of 18 years.
• Act in accordance with Vincentians child safety and wellbeing policies and procedures at all times.
• Behave respectfully, courteously and ethically towards children and their families and towards other staff.
• Listen and respond to the views and concerns of children, particularly if they communicate (verbally or non-verbally) that they do not feel safe or well.
• Promote the human rights, safety and wellbeing of all children.
• Demonstrate appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
• Consider and respect the diverse backgrounds and needs of children.
• Create an environment that promotes and enables children’s participation and is welcoming, culturally safe and inclusive for all children and their families.
• Involve children in making decisions about activities, policies and processes that concern them wherever possible.
• Contribute, where appropriate, to The Vincentians policies, discussions, learning and reviews about child safety and wellbeing.
• Identify and mitigate risks to children’s safety and wellbeing as required by the Vincentians’ risk assessment and management policy or process.
• Respond to any concerns or complaints of child harm or abuse promptly and in line with the Vincentians policy and procedure for receiving and responding to complaints.
• Report all suspected or disclosed child harm or abuse as required by local Law and by The Vincentians policy and procedure on internal and external reporting.
• Comply with The Vincentians’ protocols on communicating with children.• Comply with local law and the Vincentians’ policies and procedures on record keeping and information sharing.
I will NOT:
• Engage in any unlawful activity with or in relation to a child.
• Engage in any activity that is likely to physically, sexually or emotionally harm a child.
• Unlawfully discriminate against any child or their family members.
• Be alone with a child unnecessarily.
• Arrange personal contact, including online contact, with children I am working with for a purpose unrelated to the Vincentians’ activities
.• Disclose personal or sensitive information about a child, including images of a child, unless the child and their parent or legal guardian consent or unless I am required to do so by The Vincentians’ policy and procedure on reporting.
• Use inappropriate language in the presence of children, or show or provide children with access to inappropriate images or material.
• Work with children while under the influence of alcohol or prohibited drugs.• Ignore or disregard any suspected or disclosed child harm or abuse.
If I think this Code of Conduct has been breached by another person in the Congregation of the Mission, employed by the Congregation of the Mission or volunteering with the Congregation of the Mission
• Act to prioritise the best interests of children.
• Take actions promptly to ensure that children are safe.
• Promptly report any concerns The Provincial and Child Safety Officer,
• Follow the Vincentians’ policies and procedures for receiving and responding to complaints and concerns.
• Comply with local Church and Civil law requirements on reporting if relevant, and with the Vincentians’ policy and procedure on internal and external reporting
.I agree to abide by this Code of Conduct during my employment with [the organisation]. I understand that breaches of this Code of Conduct may lead to suspension from ministry, disciplinary action or dismissal, or termination of my employment with the Vincentians